Skip to main content

Bedrest days!!

On December 26th I went for my 20 week ultrasound. I was so excited to go and see our baby girl on ultrasound. I didn't have much anxiety for this ultrasound, which was rare for me. I knew the baby looked great and that she was developing healthy and strong. I really had no worries. The doctor confirmed again that the baby looked great, but then he paused and said, "but". As soon as I heard the tone in his voice my heart started racing and I knew something was wrong. I could tell he didn't want to say, but he told me that my cervix had started to efface considerably and that my odds of having a preterm baby were very high. He then placed me on bedrest. Holy crap, I thought for sure I deserved a pregnancy with zero complications, but somehow I was way off. I recall seeing just minutes before this appointment a pregnant women being wheeled into the office and then being helped to the couch to lay down. I turned to Brian and said, "shoot me if that is ever me". Sure enough I was the pregant lady now being wheeled out of the office. Little did I realize at that moment that my life was no longer mine and that everyday I would live selflessly to keep my unborn baby girl inside of me until she was ready to come.


Well, here I was doing what I said I could never do, bedrest!! You do what ya gotta do. I stayed down every minute of the day. I lived in fear everyday that I would soon be living the life of a NICU mom. Something that I didn't want to get to know. So, somehow I willed my baby to stay in me. I had no option but to see this pregancy to the end. I WAS NOT GOING TO HAVE HER EARLY!! That was my daily, hourly, minute to mintue thought. My family and friends helped me everyday to keep a positive attitude. By 24 weeks I was considered 70% effaced. I was then given steroids to speed the baby's lung development so in case I delivered she would have better chances of survival. That was when I was put on the maximum amount of drugs to stop contractions and labor. I had to set my phone alarm every 4 hours to take my medications or contractions would set in, and to the hospital I would go. Vodka soon became our last resort if meds didn't stop the contrations. No worries, Dr. recommended. Brian was my personal bartender. He he!! But hey it worked like a champ....no contractions. I was only hospitalized 2 times to stop labor and it was a success. Thank goodness!!

So my story ends HAPPILY ever after. At 36 weeks I was lifted off of bedrest and was able to walk around. I was one big jelly fish. I started gaining strength to get ready for this baby to come. I was now 100% effaced and dilated to 3. Any day right? This is the best part of the story. Once up and around contractions stopped and no baby came as expected. I finally set a date for an induction on May 1st, since this baby didn't seem to want to come. OH no.....she came with a bang on April 30th. One day early. Our prayers were answered...a full term healthy baby girl. Emmi Jill Birkeland. What a miracle.




This big blue lazy boy was were I grew my little Emmi. I was planted here for 16 weeks and I literally felt like I grew roots. I had my little bedside table that had all my needs at my fingertips. Computer and remote were my saviors. I was a TV junkie. I think I got into every TV drama possible. Don't I look like I am enjoying myself? NOT!! Many friends would come and visit. I can't tell how much support I received from all my friends and family. I LOVE ALL YOU!!
This was a big day when Emmi turned 32 weeks. It was a huge sigh of relief that I made it this far. My nurse friends in the NICU surprised me with a pizza that congratulated me on my progress. A moment to always remember!!
One plus of being on bed rest......I had my hair stylist come to me. I even put on make-up for the occasion. WOW!! I remember I would sit on the edge of my bathtub to put on make-up, (which was for special occasions) I was told bathroom privledges only, and to shower once a week for 2 minutes. Yeah right!! Is that possible?
My mom pretty much lived at our house so Brian didn't have to deal with me ALL the time. She would cook meals, clean, take me to dr appts, and just plain keep me company so I wouldn't go insane. Thanks MOM!






Comments

JoAnna said…
I just had to leave a comment to let you know I read every last word of your blog so far and thoroughly enjoyed it! I had no idea you "had" to drink vodka to help you not go into labor!! That is HILARIOUS!! What a great story!

Popular posts from this blog

Lucy's Birth

Today I am going to sit down and take the time to journal Lucy's birth story.  My feelings are still so fresh and I want to remember my experience forever.  When I found out I was pregnant with Lucy I had feelings of apprehension and fear.  I wasn't ready for another baby nor was Brian to say the least.  I actually kept the news to myself for weeks, till I could no longer keep it to myself.  I knew that I had to keep working to keep the family afloat and if there were any complications we could not survive without my income.  Lots of prayers were said to keep this baby inside me so I could take care of our family and house.  To say the least my prayers were answered and this was the most smooth sailing pregnancies yet.  I was able to work part-time and at the end go full-time, and actually Brian and I were able to travel to Europe for 2 weeks when I was 24 weeks pregnant. Sweet! Since the day I told Brian I w...

I have "KIDS"

So, I find myself tripping out at the thought that I now have 2 kids. I was completely freaking out before baby Jack arrived due to the fact that I feel like Emmi is a handful and I can't imagine doubling that work. To get myself to calm down I would just tell myself, "everyone does it, right?" Well, to say the least it hasn't been a breeze so far. I am handling the baby fine. Yeah, some sleep deprivation, but Emmi has been a complete "2 year old" nightmare. I believe she is loving her baby brother, although she thinks that smothering, hitting, poking, jumping near his head, yelling in his ear, and collapsing to the floor everytime she doesn't get her way at that moment seems to be a good way to get attention. YIKES!!! My patience is wearing thin. I would LOVE any advice on handling two kids and most importantly handling a 2 year old with a new sibling. This is innocent Emmi loving her brother at the moment

Reality Check

Holy Cow.......Brian and were just relaxing on the couch enjoying some Christmas music, our Christmas tree and lighted mantle with the stockings hanging.  We had a reality check when we saw 5 stockings hanging.  We are almost a family of 5.  Wow.......pinch me!  We are getting so excited to welcome our newest 5th member of the family. It's amazing what two people can accomplish in 10 years.