Skip to main content

Emmi's tonsils and adenoids are GONE

After 1 year of roughly 10-12 sick visits to the drs. and 6 months of NO SLEEP it finally came down to having a tonsilectomy and adenoidectomy. When I say 6 months of no sleep I mean 6 whole months. Emmi would go to bed no problem but after being asleep for about 2 to 3 hours the wakings would begin. We would be waked by panic screaming. When we went to her room to comfort her she would say she was scared. She wouldn't talk about dreams or anything. We would lay by her and she would quickly fall back to sleep. That was happening over and over all night long. We have been zombies for so long. We read every sleep book in the planet. Then she would be sick again. We would try to "sleep train" her over and over with different techniques. One was to give her one chance to come out of her room, then after that was to lock her in her room. That seemed awful and cruel but we thought it will just take a couple of bad nights. Well, the panic screaming got worse and worse. Not better. We got an appt. with a psychologist. We have taken her to every homeopath in the freaking state. No answers as to why her fears at night are now branching into her normal daily activities. Or why she is such a behavioral mess.

So after about the 12th fever and sore throat episode I finally put on the mommy nurse hat and got a flashlight to see her throat. I about died. Her tonsils were almost touching the epiglotis. You know the hanging thing in the middle of your throat. I don't know alot about throats but I know it shouldn't look like that. That moment I got on the phone with an ENT and demanded she be seen that day or next. They could sense my urgency and got me in the next day. When the ENT examined her throat he said her tonsils were enlarged but not the biggest he had seen but after seeing all of her sick visits he decided to put her on the schedule for surgery.

He sent me home with some literature of some of the behavioral issues that comes with enlarged tonsils and adenoids. Everyone was Emmi to a big fat T. We waited patiently for those 2 weeks to come. Of course she was sick again come surgery time. They took her anyway.

I really didn't know how to prepare Emmi for surgery. I just told her she was going to the hospital and when she comes home she will have a really bad sore throat. And she could have all the popsicles she wanted. She lit up. And she has lived the last year with a sore throat so I think she thought no sweat mom. Whats the big deal.

The saddest part was putting her NPO for almost 24 hours before surgery. Telling a toddler NO FOOD or DRINK. They don't understand why their mom and dad would be starving them. Brian and I became master of distraction.

Brian's mom took Jack for the afternoon and we went to Primary Childrens Hopsital. We got checked in and Emmi got her stamp bracelet and got to get into funky hospital jammies, which she hated.



They were running ahead of schedule so they let me take her to the OR and help her go under anesthesia. It was actually quite traumatic. She didn't want the gas mask on so we had to pin her down and force it on her. She was just looking at me with crocodile tears streaming down her face saying, "mama nooooo" and then she was out. I had tears in my eyes when I had to leave the OR. I wanted to just be a nurse and stay in there and hold her hand. It was awful leaving her there on the table totally out.
Surgery took 45 minutes. The surgeon came to the waiting room and told us how the surgery went. He said, "Her adenoids were absolutely huge". He said that with them being so big they have been obstructing her airway at night in her sleep. He said her tonsils were bigger than seen on exam cause they were really spread out and starting to embed into the tissues. I about started to cry! Finally a real answer on what is wrong. And finally a solution! I got to see her fresh from the OR. She was in so much pain. She just kept holding her throat. They called to the OR for an order for another dose of Fentanyl. Thank goodness. Then she started to stop breathing. I started freaking out. The nurse didn't seem to be too alarmed. I guess I don't see enough of this type of stuff. She finally got transfered to the same day surgery recovery room where she would be watched for 4 hours. She needed oxygen for about 1 hour after and then she started waking up. She wanted her daddy right when she woke up. Yeah.....me mom, I'm just chopped liver.
Emmi kept asking for icee's. She would hold them in her hand and then refused to take a sip. Then they would turn to liquid and she would start to cry about it. The nurse probably brought out like 3 new icee's for her to just let melt.

By the 3rd hour she ordered chocolate milk and mac n' cheese from room service. We were proud that she got down some sips of milk and a couple small bites of mac n' cheese!

Emmi was excited to get her blood pressure cuff off, her IV out and out of those jammies. In fact she complained more of her IV than her throat. Kinda funny. And home we went.

She slept like a baby the whole first night home. We thought she was cured. Wow were we sorely mistaken. This last week has been brutal. She has ups and then downs regarding pain. Her pain meds have been a god send. We have to threaten, bribe, pin her down to get it down her, but once it is down she is good. She has had less awakenings at night. Mostly they are due to pain. We pray that this surgery will all change our lives!

Hence, there has been no blogging in the last year. I have a nightmare 3 year old and a 20 month that put me in full motion all day and night.

Comments

Unknown said…
sheesh! I'm so glad you figured out what was wrong with poor Emmi
Man that is rough! Hopefully some much needed sleep will soon follow. If you need anything...even a break...let me know I'm right up the street!
Heather said…
What a crazy year for you guys! I hope that this finally helps.
Kristin said…
Surgery is NO fun, but hopefully she will be sleeping better with time. I'm sure once you wake up everynight forever it's hard to just turn around. Glad to hear how things went. Maybe I will see you Thurs???
JoAnna said…
Oh gosh, Ang! What a nightmare!!! I'm so glad that you've made this much progress with it all! Good luck!
Tiffany said…
Angie - It's been so long since I talked to you! I am so sorry to hear that it's been such a rough go for you guys. I am very hopeful that this is exactly what you guys need for life to get back to normal. After Taylee's surgery it took almost 3 weeks for things to get back to normal. I think she even had some withdrawals from her short course of tylenol with codeine. Just keep hanging on, the light at the end of the tunnel is getting MUCH brighter!

Popular posts from this blog

Family Pics!!!

It's that time again for family pictures for the good ol' Christmas card. I always hate doing this, but you know you just got to do it. It took me weeks to get together everyones outfits. I stewed and stewed about where I wanted the shoot and what style I was looking for. I hired this amazing photographer and I am for the first time extremely impressed of how things turned out. Here are a few sneak peeks! Emmi was handing out fake smiles and frowns the entire shoot. I can't tell you how hard it is to get everyone with their smiles on in one photo. I think that our little Jack stole the show. He was by far the cutest in every photo. P.S. Oh yeah..... I completely CHOPPED my hair. It's been a little hard to adjust to, but a good change.

Baby JACK JONES!

We showed them didn't we Jack? As I said in my last post I was going to tell the hospital that Jack wanted to be born on May 20th regardless of what they say. My last post was written on May 20th at about 7:45 p.m. While writing the post I did feel some stronger contractions but since I had been contracting all day I really just ignored it. Until I published my post and started walking around. They immediately started coming 3 minutes apart and I had to breath through them. Brian was putting Emmi down to sleep, but I barged into the room and said we need to go to the hospital fast. I called Eric and Kelley to take Emmi and in no less than 5 minutes we were out the door. Emmi couldn't have been more thrilled. Off for a sleep over with her cousins. Driving to the hospital was the longest drive possible. The contractions were coming so fast. I was a contortionist in the passenger seat while gripping Brian's thigh everytime a contraction hit. Brian dropped me off in the round a...

I have "KIDS"

So, I find myself tripping out at the thought that I now have 2 kids. I was completely freaking out before baby Jack arrived due to the fact that I feel like Emmi is a handful and I can't imagine doubling that work. To get myself to calm down I would just tell myself, "everyone does it, right?" Well, to say the least it hasn't been a breeze so far. I am handling the baby fine. Yeah, some sleep deprivation, but Emmi has been a complete "2 year old" nightmare. I believe she is loving her baby brother, although she thinks that smothering, hitting, poking, jumping near his head, yelling in his ear, and collapsing to the floor everytime she doesn't get her way at that moment seems to be a good way to get attention. YIKES!!! My patience is wearing thin. I would LOVE any advice on handling two kids and most importantly handling a 2 year old with a new sibling. This is innocent Emmi loving her brother at the moment