Skip to main content

A Day With DAD!

I wake up at the butt crack of dawn. Creep quietly through the house not to wake a soul to get ready for my 12 hour shift. The house is spotless. The floors are swept, dishes done, toys put away, left overs in the fridge for quick meals, clothing layed out. PERFECT!!!


I call home and everything is going PERFECT!!! Jack is down for a nap. Emmi and Brian are baking cookies. Emmi is super helper and her main concern is when she can put the sprinkles on. I get off the phone and cannot help but to have a bit of jealously over come me. My mornings never go this smoothly. I ask myself over and over what in the crap is wrong with me?




So, cookies are baked, Emmi is lounging watching a good ol' Dora or something to that matter. I call home again and here is the conversation. "Oh, we baked cookies......went outside and swang on the swing for sometime. Jack got up. He ate great for me. Oatmeal and pears and about 5 oz of milk. We are going to head up to my mom's for a while and play" Hmmm.....it never goes this smoothly.....again I ask myself WHY??????? HOW?????????????

Towards late afternoon I call home again. Here goes our conversation. "Emmi had a fabulous time at Grandma Birkelands. She played well and Jack he is about the cutest kid ever. He just played on the ground for like an hour. What a champ, no fussing at all. My mom fed us all lunch. Both kids have been down for almost 2 hours. I kinda took a nap and now I am just downstairs checking my email." What??????? Both kids down at the same time? That never happens!!! How is it always this PERFECT???



I walk into the house from a long 13.5 hour day and into the living room and the room looks like a bomb hit it. A fort was built and Brian and Emmi were in it watching a movie on her mini DVD player. PRICELESS!!! Dishes piled up in the sink, toys strewn all over the house, kids still in their pajamas, top ramen for dinner. Chocolate for dessert. And two HAPPY KIDS!!!





I have thought and thought about why in the heck the days go so well for Brian, and why on my days I have the opposite. Here is my theory. On Brian's day the house is spotless, everything is PERFECT so when everyone wakes up there is nothing to do but the kids. All day Brian plays plays plays. On my days I am constantly multi tasking to keep everything somewhat functional and clean. I feel like I have to make a conscious effort to really play.

I am certainly not complaining because when I think about it, my kids are so lucky to have a dad so involved who takes time to play. I look to him as an example, who can overlook lame household tasks to take time to play. Good thing there are dads because moms innately can't look over the household chores......it's simply just isn't FAIR!

Comments

Sid said…
what a good daddy! but there is nobody like mommy! we know how to do it all! and that is why our job is the hardest in the world!
Anna said…
You're not the only one who has that experience. And yes, it does have something to do with cleaning the house. I can't stop thinking about cleaning or getting something done. It always distracts me. But I try to remember to be more like Brandon and just play with Grant.
Oh how I relate to this...on Blakes days with the kids he always comments on how easy it was..and then I ask him how many loads of laundry did he do or how many toliets were cleaned and I get a no comment!
Hillary Corpuz said…
This is so true. The few hours a day I have with my kids are precious yet I find myself stressed and running around for the same reason, so it's smoother when I am not there. Heaven forbid they miss their mommy. :)
I am having to slap myself to make sure I am not reading my own blog! I have felt this EXACT same way! After reading all of your comments I don't feel so bad anymore. I am not the only one... YAY! I have been having a pitty party for myself! I feel like my kids got the short end of the stick having me for a mother. It is so hard for me to sit down and play without worrying about cleaning something or organizing. I am just going to take a breath and relax from now on... shouldn't be to hard right?

Popular posts from this blog

Lucy's Birth

Today I am going to sit down and take the time to journal Lucy's birth story.  My feelings are still so fresh and I want to remember my experience forever.  When I found out I was pregnant with Lucy I had feelings of apprehension and fear.  I wasn't ready for another baby nor was Brian to say the least.  I actually kept the news to myself for weeks, till I could no longer keep it to myself.  I knew that I had to keep working to keep the family afloat and if there were any complications we could not survive without my income.  Lots of prayers were said to keep this baby inside me so I could take care of our family and house.  To say the least my prayers were answered and this was the most smooth sailing pregnancies yet.  I was able to work part-time and at the end go full-time, and actually Brian and I were able to travel to Europe for 2 weeks when I was 24 weeks pregnant. Sweet! Since the day I told Brian I w...

I have "KIDS"

So, I find myself tripping out at the thought that I now have 2 kids. I was completely freaking out before baby Jack arrived due to the fact that I feel like Emmi is a handful and I can't imagine doubling that work. To get myself to calm down I would just tell myself, "everyone does it, right?" Well, to say the least it hasn't been a breeze so far. I am handling the baby fine. Yeah, some sleep deprivation, but Emmi has been a complete "2 year old" nightmare. I believe she is loving her baby brother, although she thinks that smothering, hitting, poking, jumping near his head, yelling in his ear, and collapsing to the floor everytime she doesn't get her way at that moment seems to be a good way to get attention. YIKES!!! My patience is wearing thin. I would LOVE any advice on handling two kids and most importantly handling a 2 year old with a new sibling. This is innocent Emmi loving her brother at the moment

Reality Check

Holy Cow.......Brian and were just relaxing on the couch enjoying some Christmas music, our Christmas tree and lighted mantle with the stockings hanging.  We had a reality check when we saw 5 stockings hanging.  We are almost a family of 5.  Wow.......pinch me!  We are getting so excited to welcome our newest 5th member of the family. It's amazing what two people can accomplish in 10 years.